WILLIAM M. BLACK
The boat was one of the last great steam-powered side-wheelers used for dredging operations primarily on the Missouri River and MISSISSIPPI RIVER. Powered by two 32-ton side-wheelers, one of which now stands in front of the Riverboat Museum, the Black burned 7,000 gallons of oil daily in its huge boilers. The boat had the capability of dredging 80,000 cubic feet of silt daily, while crawling at a speed between 150 and 200 feet per hour. A 50- to 60-man crew operated the boat around the clock. In 1934 it cost $628,000 to build. (2)
Built at the Marietta Manufacturing Company of Point Pleasant, West Virginia, in 1934, the Black was last used in 1973. When the federal government announced the Black's retirement, Dubuque became one of several cities competing for it. Because of Dubuque's elaborate plans to make the boat into a museum, the Black was moved here in September 1979. The starboard paddlewheel and fifteen feet of starboard deck had to be removed so that the ship, originally 85-feet wide, could squeak through the 75-foot opening of the floodgates of the Ice Harbor.DUBUQUE GREYHOUND PARK AND CASINO), Newt Marine and other Dubuque businesses were used to display the 32-ton starboard paddlewheel on an A-frame, specially designed and built for the purpose. Dubuque Greyhound Park provided a grant to raise the wheel and support it by its original shaft. Bradley Iron Works supplied the steel, Newt Marine donated the labor and materials, and concrete was given by the Molo Company. (Photo Credit: www.ia-bednbreakfast-inns.com)
In addition to being a tourist site, the Black could be rented for overnight lodging as a bed and breakfast.
1. Dickel, Dean. "Black Designated National Historic Landmark," Telegraph Herald, May 30, 1993, p. 3A