"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




WILLIAM BECKER AND SONS STONE COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search

WILLIAM BECKER AND SONS STONE COMPANY. William Becker, Sr. learned the stone mason trade from his father, John who operated the Becker Quarry around 1910. With his father's death, the quarry was sold and two new quarries were purchased on either side of upper Kaufmann Avenue. Stone from the quarry was used for the additions at WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, DUBUQUE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL, building in EAGLE POINT PARK, and the veneer work on WESTMINSTER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.

In the early days, all stone was hand-cut with chisels and points and then loaded by hand into wagons for delivery. William Becker, Sr. remembered that the loads could not exceed four tons to make it up the hills. Derricks were later used to lift larger blocks and machines were used for cutting.

The GREAT DEPRESSION was a difficult time due to lack of construction, but post-war years found a booming interest in veneer-stone work. Orders for sandstone came in from surrounding states and many places in Iowa.

---

Source:

"Proud of His Profession," Telegraph Herald, November 6, 1960, p. 24


The 1957 Dubuque City Directory listed 2619 Kaufmann.

The 1959 through 1964 Dubuque City Directory listed 2685 Kaufmann.

The 1972 through 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 1735 Kaufmann Avenue.