"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
The hotel was owned and operated by Frank Pierce who sold the business to D. H. McCarthy who made extensive renovations including an elevator. (3) An two-story brick addition was made to the west side of the building. The first floor was dedicated as a room where guests could be checked in and baggage collected by porters for delivery to the rooms. The second floor was used as a kitchen. (4)
One of the festive occasions held at the hotel was a "Private Mid-Winter Hop" on the evening of January 11, 1911. For the admission price of seventy-five cents, those invited enjoyed a program of thirty dances including a wabanzie and several schottische. The Wales Hotel stood until July 5, 1917, when it was destroyed by fire.
1. "Way Back When," Telegraph Herald, November 25, 1960, p. 5
4. "Addition to Hotel," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, January 2, 1903, p. 2