"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




W. A. HARKETT

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Harkett's nursery c. 1911 at the same address. Image courtesy: http://www.cityofdubuque.org/DocumentCenter/Home/View/2926
W. A. HARKETT. This nursery was established in 1872 and greenhouses were constructed on Hill St. in 1877. There was a second storefront at 9th and Main at that time.

In 1892 the growth of business led to the construction of a new 12 feet x 52 feet hot house for the cultivation of carnations. (1) Eventually twenty-three greenhouses totaled 42,000 square feet of glass.

According to the 1878-79 through 1903 Dubuque County Rural Route Directory listed this business at the corner of West 5th and Hill.

---

Source:

1. "Municipal Molecules," Dubuque Daily Herald, September 9, 1892, p. 4

Jacobsen, James E. Phase V Dubuque Historical and Architectural Survey of the Fenelon Place, North Main and Broadway Neighborhoods, p. 15