"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
He considered the business possibilities and decided upon establishing a foundry and machine shop. Returning to New York, Tredway formed a partnership with Hammond ROUSE and together they purchased tools, machinery and appliances needed for their business, the IOWA IRON WORKS. Tredway remained in the foundry and machinery business only two years before selling his interest to Jesse P. FARLEY.
In 1853 Tredway and William ANDREW became business partners and founded the business of ANDREW & TREDWAY at 484 and 488 Main Street. Tredway soon purchased his partner's interest and brought his sons into the firm. This company, then known as A. TREDWAY AND SONS, was advertised as the first hardware wholesaler west of the MISSISSIPPI RIVER. Tredway then moved the company to Iowa Street.
By the late 1800s, the company owned a large store on Main Street and three stores on Iowa Street. Tredway salesmen traveled across Iowa and into regions of Illinois, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin selling merchandise to other hardware outlets.
In 1929 the business founded by Tredway was purchased and became the KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY. The merger expanded the company's business into the fields of heating, air conditioning, and plumbing.
"A Pioneer Called," Dubuque Herald, November 6, 1897, p. 8
Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 889