"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




TORBERT DRUG COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque
TORBERT DRUG COMPANY. The Torbert Drug Company advertised itself in 1911 as the oldest and one of the largest drug houses in Iowa.

See: UP TOWN DRUG STORE

See: WALKER'S SHOE STORE


The Torbert Drug Company was formally established in 1906 with Mr. Torbert listed as president and G.A. Grimm as vice-president. It was then located at 767 Iowa and 756 Main. The growth of the company led to its incorporation and need for stockholders.

In 1916 a Mr. Buesch became president of the company. Buesch was succeeded in 1920 by C.H. Wunderlich.

The 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory through the 1922 directory listed 737 Main as the address.

The 1939 through 1974 Dubuque City Directory listed 100 Main.


Torbert.png
Letterhead
Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Trade Card
Torbertx.jpg
TDC.png
A big wooden insulated bucket from Torbert Drug. Photo courtesy: Diane Harris