"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
STAMPFER'S DEPARTMENT STORE
STAMPFER'S DEPARTMENT STORE. Founded by Joseph Frederick STAMPFER, the department store was the successor of a dry goods store known as Kees and Sullivan. In 1855 Stampfer bought out Kees' interest in the company.
In its brightest years, Stampfer's operated with little concern for competition. A brisk business was carried on in clothing despite its being priced several times higher than in other stores. Customers bought Stampfer's merchandise rather than travel to high-priced stores in Chicago. Furs were sold in a department called the French Room. On May 31, 1927 on the store's 42nd anniversary, the general public was invited to a Mardi Gras themed event featuring the third floor cleared for dancing. Every street car in the city was chartered between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. on the morning of June 1, 1927 to bring people to a sale of special merchandise. Other items in the store was not for sale. The release of two hundred balloons was expected to draw special attention because twenty contained five dollar coupons good at the sale. (1)
In 1976 F.P. Inc., a corporation from Oskaloosa, Iowa, purchased the store from McCoy-Stampfer's, Inc. of Madison, Wisconsin which had owned the building since 1975. (3)
In 1979 the building was sold to Tom and Mary Graham who announced their intention to rebuild the store's past greatness. In August 1981, citing a delay of Highway 561 and high interest rates, the Grahams declared the business would not reopen.
1. "Stampfer Company Will be Host to Public," Telegraph-Herald and Times Journal, May 31, 1927, p. 14
2. "Johnson Hill's of Wisconsin Buys Stampfer's in Dubuque," Telegraph Herald, July 26, 1962, p. 1
3. "Stampfer's Under New Management," Telegraph Herald, June 13, 1976, p. 18
175 Years, Volume 3, "Razzle Dazzle," Telegraph Herald, September 15, 2008