"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
STAFFORD, Charles. (Northamptonshire, England, Aug. 19, 1812-- ). Stafford came to Canada in 1828 and moved to Dubuque in August, 1838. In 1839, he ran a flat-boat ferry for Timothy FANNING, the first ferry run across the river from this side. In 1840 he operated General George Wallace JONES horse-boat.
Over the years, Stafford was involved in plastering, farming and mining. He laid out Stafford's Addition to Dubuque and in 1882 narrowly escaped death when the CALEDONIA MILLS burned to the ground. He had been serving as his own watchman since the mill was turned over to him by Wallace and Christie and had been sleeping at the mill to prevent vandalism. There had been a storm; it was suspected the building was struck by lightning. (1)
1. "A Morning Blaze," The Daily Herald, September 19, 1882, p. 4