SAINT JOHN'S LUTHERAN CHURCH
With depleted funds, the travelers crossed the MISSISSIPPI RIVER into Iowa by ferryboat using the last fifty cents of one of the party. Once across the river, most of the group chose to remain in Dubuque. Eventually part of a lot with a two story eight room brick house facing White Street was purchased for two thousand dollars. Until 1872 the largest room on the second floor was used as a school for children of the congregation.
Lack of funds led the congregation to use twenty-one feet remaining along White Street for the location of a church. On September 24, 1855, the first St. John's Church was dedicated. The congregation, which in 1860 stood at one hundred, increased by 1864 to 247.
In June 1867, the congregation was convinced by their pastor, Heinrich Luz, to purchase five acres of land near Windsor Avenue. Subdivided into lots, the land was sold for gravesites in what became known as St. John's Cemetery. Sales of lots provided a steady income source for the congregation to use in purchasing a site for a new church. The new building, on the corner of 13th and White Streets, was dedicated on October 26, 1879.
In 1885 the old church and parsonage were razed and a combination hall, parsonage, and school were constructed on the same site. The dedication was held on October 26, 1879. Continued growth of the congregation led to the purchase of a lot on Twentieth and Elm Streets and the construction of a frame building named SAINT PETER LUTHERAN CHURCH. In 1903 a parsonage was added to the property. Growth in population led the mission to become a congregation. Deeds to the property were turned over to the new church on January 18, 1911. A second mission project in 1892 along Grandview Avenue failed, and the property was sold.
St. John's struggled with language problems for many years. Prior to 1910, Parish Day School sought to teach its students enough German to understand German preaching or instruction. Lack of popularity led the school to close in 1910. The use of English in sermons was started by August 1913, although services conducted in German were held for another twenty years. The last German confirmation class joined the church in 1917. English became the official language of the summer Sunday school in 1918.
St. John's was part of the first Lutheran social service project in January 1950 when the Thomas Mulgrew home east of WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY was purchased and remodeled to serve the needs of elderly members of the congregation. The home opened in June 1950.
The 1987 through 2014 Dubuque City Directory listed 1276 White.