"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "RUEGAMER, John"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
RUEGAMER, John. (Bavaria, Germany, Feb. 7, 1830--Dubuque, IA, Dec. 20, 1889). With only ten dollars, Ruegamer came to this country in 1854. He entered into a partnership the following year that established one of the city's oldest successful butcher shops.  
+
RUEGAMER, John. (Bavaria, Germany, Feb. 7, 1830--Dubuque, IA, Dec. 20, 1889). With only ten dollars, Ruegamer came to this country in 1854. He entered into a partnership the following year that established one of the city's oldest successful butcher shops. (1)
  
In August, 1883. the council granted to John Ruegamer, [[TREXLER, John|John TREXLER]], J. P. Schroeder, John Klein, [[SCHROEDER, Frank|Frank SCHROEDER]] and [[FENGLER, George|George FENGLER]], for a period of twenty-five years, free license and full right to operate a ferry to be known as "Eagle Point Ferry," from a place near Eagle Point, at Division street, across the river to the Wisconsin shore. (1)
+
In September, 1879 it was decided to divide the congregation of [[ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH]]. A meeting was called on May 24, 1880 to organize a new parish and a committee including Ruegamer was established. A site was purchased on the corner of Eagle Point and Windsor avenues for $3,650. A building committee was established with Ruegamer as president, funds were collected, and [[HEER, Fridolin|Fridolin HEER]] was hired as the architect for what became [[SACRED HEART CHURCH]]. (2)
  
Ruegamer served as a county supervisor for twenty years, city alderman four years, and president of the [[DUBUQUE FIRE AND MARINE INSURANCE COMPANY]].
+
In August, 1883. the council granted to John Ruegamer, [[TREXLER, John|John TREXLER]], J. P. Schroeder, John Klein, [[SCHROEDER, Frank|Frank SCHROEDER]] and [[FENGLER, George|George FENGLER]], for a period of twenty-five years, free license and full right to operate a ferry to be known as "Eagle Point Ferry," from a place near Eagle Point, at Division street, across the river to the Wisconsin shore. (3)
 +
 
 +
Ruegamer served as a county supervisor for twenty years, city alderman four years, and president of the [[DUBUQUE FIRE AND MARINE INSURANCE COMPANY]]. (4) He was the second acting president of the company at the time of his death. (5)
  
 
---
 
---
Line 10: Line 12:
  
 
1. Oldt, Franklin T. '''History of Dubuque County, Iowa'''. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 186
 
1. Oldt, Franklin T. '''History of Dubuque County, Iowa'''. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 186
 +
 +
2. "Silver Jubilee," ''The Dubuque Herald'', January 14, 1897, p. 5
 +
 +
3. Oldt.
 +
 +
4. Ibid.
 +
 +
5. Kruse, John. "John Ruegamer," '''Tri-States' German Heritage''' published by the ''Telegraph Herald'', June, 2010, p. 42
  
 
[[Category: Business Leader]]
 
[[Category: Business Leader]]
 
[[Category: Politician]]
 
[[Category: Politician]]

Latest revision as of 18:21, 14 June 2018

RUEGAMER, John. (Bavaria, Germany, Feb. 7, 1830--Dubuque, IA, Dec. 20, 1889). With only ten dollars, Ruegamer came to this country in 1854. He entered into a partnership the following year that established one of the city's oldest successful butcher shops. (1)

In September, 1879 it was decided to divide the congregation of ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH. A meeting was called on May 24, 1880 to organize a new parish and a committee including Ruegamer was established. A site was purchased on the corner of Eagle Point and Windsor avenues for $3,650. A building committee was established with Ruegamer as president, funds were collected, and Fridolin HEER was hired as the architect for what became SACRED HEART CHURCH. (2)

In August, 1883. the council granted to John Ruegamer, John TREXLER, J. P. Schroeder, John Klein, Frank SCHROEDER and George FENGLER, for a period of twenty-five years, free license and full right to operate a ferry to be known as "Eagle Point Ferry," from a place near Eagle Point, at Division street, across the river to the Wisconsin shore. (3)

Ruegamer served as a county supervisor for twenty years, city alderman four years, and president of the DUBUQUE FIRE AND MARINE INSURANCE COMPANY. (4) He was the second acting president of the company at the time of his death. (5)

---

Source:

1. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 186

2. "Silver Jubilee," The Dubuque Herald, January 14, 1897, p. 5

3. Oldt.

4. Ibid.

5. Kruse, John. "John Ruegamer," Tri-States' German Heritage published by the Telegraph Herald, June, 2010, p. 42