"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
RIVERSIDE BOWL. Opened in 1958, Riverside Bowl at 1860 Hawthorne was established by the Riverside Bowl Inc. Officers of the company included Raymond Segar of St. Louis, Missouri, president; Edward Segar, vice-president; Gerald Pregler, secretary; and Rudolph Segar, treasurer. The 140' x 140' building was constructed after a 50 year lease with an option to renew for another 50 years had been obtained from the Dubuque Dock Commission. (1)
Pregler, the manager of the new business had eight years of bowling alley experience. He was quoted as saying the building would be a replica of Maple Lanes of Waterloo, Iowa. Pregler would be assisted in the operation by an assistant manager, an alleyman, an a mechanic. The modern 24-land bowling alley was to offer automatic pinspotters and a complete restaurant. (2) Records set at the alley included an all-tie single game high for the DUBUQUELAND WOMEN'S BOWLING ASSOCIATION of 1,031 in the 1961 Ladies Major League. Gerry WIEDERHOLT bowled the first 800 series (801) in 1975. (3)
Eventually an additional 16 lanes were added. A large room was used as an archery and golf range as well as boxing and wrestling matches before being converted to a dance hall. (4)
An unusual feature of the interior were the diapers hanging from the ceiling in the spring to catch water. Ray Seger did not want to spend $50,000 to install a vapor barrier on the underside of the metal roof when the alley was constructed. During the winter, the humidity caused by the patrons, drinks, and mopping the floor penetrated the ceiling and froze on the metal roof. When the spring thaw occurred, the melting ice dripped back down leading to the odd appearance of Pampers on the ceiling. (5)
The bowling alley was renamed BOWLING AND BEYOND by 2000. The building was demolished in 2019.
1. "New Industrial Park Bowling Lanes,Telegraph Herald, Telegraph-Herald, July 2, 1958 p. 8
3. Day, Mike, "Memory Lanes," Telegraph Herald, January 2, 2019, p. 1A
5. Ibid., p. 2A