OKY DOKY. Local chain of popular convenience stores. The first Oky Doky was opened by Jack Thompson in 1964 at 22nd Street and Central Avenue. This was the first of twelve convenience food stores opened in Dubuque, East Dubuque, Galena and Freeport, Illinois. The name of the chain came from an expression Thompson used as a child.WINDERS FOOD MARKET, the previous name of the first Oky Doky, was such a site.
As more stores were opened, Thompson began a franchise arrangement that called for the store's operator to pay rent on the building in addition to 3 percent of the store's gross receipts in exchange for the Oky Doky name, buying programs, and marketing.
The 1966 Dubuque City Directory listed 2204 Central and 744 Main.
The 1968 Dubuque City Directory listed 3301 Pennsylvania, 744 Main, and 2204 Central.
The 1970 and 1980 Dubuque City Directory listed 2119 Rhomberg, 2204 Central, 744 Main, 3301 Pennsylvania, 805 W. 5th, and 2850 Burlington.
The 1972 Dubuque City Directory listed 2119 Rhomberg, 2204 Central, 3301 Pennsylvania, 805 W. 5th, 1050 University, 99 W. 32nd, and 2850 Burlington.
The 1977 through 1987 Dubuque City Directory listed 1233 Rhomberg, 805 W. 5th, 1050 University, 2204 Central, 1256 Iowa, 3301 Pennsylvania, 51 W. 32nd., 1101 Rhomberg and 1545 S. Grandview.
The 1989 Dubuque City Directory listed 250 W. 1st St., 1233 Rhomberg, 805 W. 5th, 1050 University, 2204 Central, 1256 Iowa, 3301 Pennsylvania, 51 W. 32nd., 1101 Rhomberg, 2010 Kerper, and 1545 S. Grandview.