ODEON THEATER. Short-lived German theater in Dubuque. The theater was located in the TOWN CLOCK building between 8th and 9th erected in 1845 by H. S. Hetherington as a Congregational church. When a new Congregational church was constructed, the vacant building was used by Germans who established the Odeon in 1858. (1) The building later was used as a post office, concert hall, and finally a dry goods store from which the doomed town clock fell.
1. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County. http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/franklin-t-oldt/history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl/page-14-history-of-dubuque-county-iowa-being-a-general-survey-of-dubuque-county-histor-tdl.shtml