O'NEILL, Bernard. (Ireland, Aug. 15, 1846-Unknown). Settling in Dubuque County in 1852, O'Neill developed one of the area's most productive brickyards with an annual production of one million bricks. In February 1876 the Dubuque Herald announced that in addition to his large brick yard, O'Neill had purchased 1.5 acres of land which contained a large clay bank once owned by Brown & Hedley who manufactured bricks. The paper stated that O'Neill now owned six acres of the best brick making clay in the city. (1)
In addition to his prosperous manufacturing business, O'Neill bought and stored grain during the winter for spring sale.
In June, 1888, O'Neill began real-estate operations and platted and platted five additions to the city, equaling an area of one hundred and twenty-five acres, all inside the city limits. In 1887 he aided in the organization of the DUBUQUE WAGON BRIDGE company and obtained from the city a bonus of $25,000. He was made president of the company and filled the position for three years. O'Neill was one of the organizers of the BOARD OF TRADE, serving as its vice-president during 1892 when it was responsible for attracting five factories to the city. (2)
See: Bernard J. O'NEILL
1. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, February 9, 1876, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18760209&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Irish in Iowa," Online: http://www.celticcousins.net/irishiniowa/carlowbios.htm
Oldt, Franklin. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 855