"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque



From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
NORTHWESTERN SANITARIUM. The Northwestern Sanitarium was established in Dubuque by Dr. Edward A.GUILBERT with with the goal of providing medical and surgical relief to that class of patients who might not be able to secure proper treatment from local physicians and to prevent the necessity of long journeys to more distant hospitals.

Located in the FACADE BUILDING, the sanitarium occupied part of the basement and the first floor and included a gymnasium, baths, and a pharmacy. It was the idea of Guilbert to one day establish a medical school is association with the sanitarium.

The 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory listed the southeast corner of 9th and Locust.



"A New Enterprise," Dubuque Herald, May 14, 1876, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18760514&printsec=frontpage&hl=en