"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
1910 advertisement. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
NATIONAL CLOTHIERS (THE). Louis and Max Motulsky, natives of Suwalki, Poland, came to this country in 1884. Louis arrived in Dubuque in 1886. He worked in a local clothing store and on June 10, 1870 went into business for himself in a building at 544 Main. In 1894 he was joined by his brother, Max, and the two opened the clothing business of Motulsky Brothers.

The increase in business led them in 1896 to move to Fifth and Main. They remained there six years before relocating to 600-606 Main.

In October, 1922 the DUBUQUE NATIONAL BANK purchased the property with an intent on using it for their bank. The brothers held a lease which was about to expire, and they found no property which could be leased so their company went out of business.

The 1903 Dubuque County Rural Route Directory listed 5th and Main.

The 1909 through 1915 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 600-606 Main.

The 1916-1917 White's Dubuque County Directory through the 1922 directory listed 600 Main as the address.