"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
The site, fronting on Highway 61, Mount Carmel Road, and South Grandview Avenue was designated as a park in 1929. A shelter, picnic tables, benches and outdoor fireplaces were constructed. Before its dedication on June 9, 1929, the park had already become a favorite spot for many local residents. Tourists enjoyed its scenic location and wilderness setting close to the city. In 1932 Grandview Park's recreational facilities were increased with the addition of a baseball diamond, tennis courts, and playground equipment.
By 1949 some citizens expressed their opinion that the land should be sold for development. They argued against the cost of fencing the sheer bluffs to protect children, saying that playgrounds were available nearby at public and parochial schools. Overcrowding at EAGLE POINT PARK however led to the fencing, additional land being cleared, and the roadway improved to provide better access to more recreational area. In 1960 a new pavilion was built, and the old shelter was remodeled.