"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
MULGREW OIL COMPANY
In 1923 Carl and Russell Mulgrew, Thomas' sons, joined the company and in 1927 Mulgrew's began selling oil and petroleum products including kerosene, heating oil and petroleum. The company's first supplier was Skelly Oil. It then became Pure Oil Company in 1949 for three years. The supplier then became Conoco and then DX from 1975 until 1983. In that year, Mulgrew merged with Arbee Oil Company, the local AMOCO distributor.
In 1959 the name of the company was changed to Mulgrew Oil Company to better identify the focus of the company. After Thomas died in 1954 and Carl in 1955, Carl's wife, Marie, served as the company president until 1983 when Pat Mulgrew took over the leadership. Jim Mulgrew, who joined the company in 1987, took over the company when his father retired in 1995.
In 1997, Mulgrew entered the wholesale side of the oil business to balance its retail business. Mulgrew's purchased an Iowa City petroleum distributor. This added Iowa City, Des Moines, and Waterloo-Cedar Falls markets for wholesale fuel supply and added fourteen retail units, a tank-wagon business as well as LP, bio-diesel, and soy products. In seven years, the company went from selling about 10 million gallons of fuel annually to 80 million gallons. On the retail side of the business, in 2004 the company had a tank truck business supplying fuel to commercial, residential and farm customers and owned and operated three BP-AMOCO retail outlets in Dubuque.
One of the company's biggest challenges was the decision of the city to develop the ICE HARBOR as a tourist center. New zoning restrictions were placed on the area in 2001. In 2003 the company lost space for its bulk plant when the Iowa Department of Transportation purchased some of the property for a new bridge.
In 2005 the company merged with Perfection Oil Company and located its new headquarters to Tamarack Park.
The 1962 Dubuque City Directory listed 197 Jones.
The 1964 Dubuque City Directory listed 197 Jones and Main.
The 1966 Dubuque City Directory listed Terminal and Water.
The 1968 through 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 85 Terminal for this Conoco representative.
1. Everly, John. "Coal, Ice and Oil Fuel Mulgrew's," Telegraph Herald, August 15, 2004, p. 21
Families in Business. (magazine). Telegraph Herald, July 30, 2010, p. 71