MOUNT ST. BERNARD'S COLLEGE AND SEMINARY
Father Andrew Trevis was president of the institution for the first five or six years. The faculty changed frequently with new priests from Europe taking the place of those who had become “Americanized” during their stay in the rural seminary.
The financial crisis of 1857 led within two or three years to a rapid enrollment decline. The institution was closed permanently in 1860.
On May 31, 1951, the archbishops and bishops of Iowa first announced their plans for a new theological seminary to be constructed in Dubuque. At that time it was announced that the name for the seminary would remain Mt. St. Bernard Seminary.
Domestic duties of the seminary were accepted by the Sisters of Saint Francis. The initial class of seminarians moved in on September 17, and the Seminary was formally dedicated December 12, 1951.TELEVISION and RADIO stations as well as the Associated Press news bureau.
Upon its arrival in Dubuque, the statue was slid from its trailer onto two beams positioned over the statue's base. Between the beams were two one hundred-pound blocks of ice that allowed the beams to be removed. Fifteen hours later, as the ice gradually melted, the statue settled into place.
In 1937 a 75-foot high Centennial cross was erected at the original site of the seminary. Constructed of galvanized steel, it was embedded in an 8' by 8' block of concrete. Beginning during Holy Week 1963 and thereafter, the cross was illuminated by the Dubuque Council 510 of the Knights of Columbus. (1)
In 1969 declining numbers of students and rising costs caused Mount St. Bernard to close. The property was taken over by the SISTERS OF THE PRESENTATION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (PBVM). The site is now called Mount Loretto.
1. Gallagher, Mary Kevin, Seed/Harvest, Dubuque, Iowa: Archdiocese of Dubuque Press, 1987, p. 96
Hellert, Susan. "Hunting Down the Old Statue of St. Bernard," Telegraph Herald, January 23, 2007, p.D1