"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
MOUNT CALVARY CEMETERY
In 1864 with the construction of ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH the cemetery was called St. Mary's Cemetery and operated under the direction of the pastor of St. Mary's Church. Since the parish was established as a GERMAN NATIONAL PARISH, the cemetery became the burial place of German Catholic people from Dubuque as well as the outlying regions. The site became the cemetery for three churches with the construction of SACRED HEART CHURCH (1880) and HOLY GHOST CATHOLIC CHURCH (1896).
The name of the cemetery was changed to Mt. Calvary in April 1902. This was the year the Calvary Cemetery Association was organized as a corporation under the laws of Iowa. On April 5, 1902, Archbishop John J. KEANE gave the Association a warranty deed to the cemetery. Since that date, purchases of land around the original cemetery have resulted in a total of forty acres being acquired. (Photo Courtesy: http://www.dubuquepostcards.com)
The 1985 Dubuque City Directory listed Mount Calvary Cemetery and Mausoleum at 111 Davis.