"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




MINNEAPOLIS, ST. PAUL, ROCHESTER AND DUBUQUE ELECTRIC TRACTION COMPANY

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Minneapolis.jpg
MINNEAPOLIS, ST. PAUL, ROCHESTER AND DUBUQUE ELECTRIC TRACTION COMPANY. This business was the creation of Marion W. Savage, owner of the mail order International Stockfood Company, based in Minneapolis in the very early part of the twentieth century. Savage had founded his stockfood enterprise in Dubuque some years before.

Savage owned a horse-breeding farm some twenty miles south of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis – St. Paul. Dan Patch, a famous trotting horse, was his master’s pride. From 1900 to 1910, Dan Patch held 14 world records, each time beating his previous ones. In 1906 at the Minnesota State Fair, the stallion did one mile in 1 minute 55.25 seconds, a record that stood for over fifty years!

Savage was convinced that a rail line from town to his 750-acre estate would attract attention, build his stockfood business reputation, and support passenger travel to northern Iowa. He felt visitors would be attracted to his farm to view Dan Patch and the other pacers.

Picture 2.png
Incorporated in September 1907 under the laws of Maine, the railroad was projected 135 miles to Rochester as a common carrier, with a future extension into Iowa.

Capitalized at $25 million, the company’s shares were sold in common ($15 million authorized, green & black in color) and 6% preferred ($10 million authorized, orange & black). Many farm residents in the area to be served by the new railroad bought shares in the speculation. At one point in time, there were over 8,500 shareholders on record.

Danpatch.jpg
Billed as the ‘First Gas-electric Railroad in the World’, its flyers proclaimed : ‘The Old Way – The smoky, dirty, uncomfortable train, versus The New Way – The clean, comfortable, electric train’. ‘Smokeless’ gasoline-electric propelled cars were employed, new for their time, and forerunners of our modern day diesel-electric locomotives. It was at first primarily a passenger operation. During WORLD WAR I when freight traffic increased some steam locomotive power was used.

Savage held two private railroad cars – one for him and his family, and a converted baggage car for Dan Patch, which he leased from the Chicago & North Western Railway. The horse palace car was painted spotless white and its sides bore exquisite gold lettering and designs. A team of white-uniformed grooms traveled with the horse’s vehicle, whose tours took them about the USA and Canada.

International Stockfood feed sacks read: ‘If it’s good for Dan Patch, it’s good for your horse’. Adding another superlative, the bulb-shaped dome atop the four-winged horse barn displayed: ‘The Four Greatest Stallions Ever Owned By One Farm’.

Some years later, another idea was conceived. Near Lakeville and along Prairie Lake, Savage purchased property, with a renamed Lake Marion. A large existing structure was modified into a hall for weekend dances. A clubhouse, bathing beach, aerial swing, chute-the-chutes, and a miniature railway were added and the spot became known as ‘Antlers Park – reached via the Dan Patch Electric Line’. It became a very popular amusement area.

The route only extended as far as the town of Northfield – about forty miles below the Twin Cities. Through the years extensions were added in the more northerly portions, trackage rights purchased from other railroads, and the Dan Patch Line captured more business.

In July 1916, tragedy struck the horse farm, in that twenty-year-old Dan Patch died in the big barn, claimed to have been a victim of overfeeding. Savage also passed away very shortly thereafter.

Following Savage’s death interest declined. In 1918 the line went into receivership and was sold to the newly formed Minnesota, Northfield & Southern Railway. Later, the Soo Line Railroad took possession, and even more recently, the old Dan Patch Line’s path is within Canadian Pacific Railway jurisdiction. The gas-electrics saw service up to WORLD WAR II.