"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
MEADOW GOLD DAIRY
The firm purchased butter, eggs, poultry and produce from local farmers for resale to manufacturers and distributors. Later they began churning their own butter and distributing it to area grocery stores, restaurants and hotels with their own equipment. Incorporating in 1889 as the Beatrice Creamery Company, the firm began financing a program that allowed farmers to buy hand cream separators; reducing frequent trips to distant skimming stations and leaving skim milk on their farm where it was available for feed.
During this same period, another company was creating a name for itself in the dairy industry as well. On November 12, 1901, the U.S. Patent Office granted the Continental Creamery Company of Topeka a trademark for the name 'Meadow Gold". It had been selected by Continental employees through a contest in search for a name to describe the golden quality of their fresh creamery butter. In 1905, Continental and Meadow Gold brand of dairy products joined the Beatrice Creamery family.
Borden operations bought out Beatrice ownership of Meadow Gold, creating a nationwide dairy and related products company. Borden's Dairy Division was headquartered in Columbus, Ohio until the fall of 1995, when it was moved to Ogden, Utah.
The 1955 through 1968 Dubuque City Directory listed the address as 2167 Central.
The 1977 Dubuque City Directory listed Highway 20 West.
The 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 8 Main.