"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org




MARSH MANSION--DEMOLISHED

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Marsh Mansion. Photo courtesy: Barbara Ludwig.
Blue Drawing Room, Marsh Mansion. Photo courtesy: Barbara Ludwig.
MARSH MANSION. Located at 1049 University, the house was built in 1854 by James Marsh for his wife Harriett Langworthy, sister of the four LANGWORTHY BROTHERS. Unfortunately Mrs. Marsh died before the home was completed. The Marsh family lived in the mansion until 1910. It was later owned by Dr. William P. and Anna Power Slattery. In 1944, Delbert J. and MARY REGINA HAYFORD purchased the mansion.

Marsh Mansion featured hand-carved doors and window casings, Corinthian columns, four solid bronze chandeliers, and eight marble fireplaces. A walnut staircase and woodwork throughout the house was carved by a Swiss craftsman brought to Dubuque just for this job. French window glass and mirrors and a double front door of carved walnut were also features. The mansion was razed in 1965 to make room for the expanding CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY. ---

Source:


Sommer, Lawrence J. The Heritage of Dubuque: An Architectural View. 1975