"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search

MACDONALD, John. (Scotland--Unknown). MacDonald came to the United States in 1865 and learned the tanning business in Pennsylvania.

He moved to Iowa in 1870 and became associated with the house of H. C. TILLINGHAST & COMPANY of Chicago. Beginning in 1875, when the branch house was established in Dubuque, MacDonald was the business manager of the company which was a dealer in hides, tallow, wool and furs.

Located at 280 Main and 281 Iowa streets. It was the only exclusive house of that kind in Dubuque. In 1879 their shipments amounted to over 2,500,000 pounds.



Oldt, Franklin T. The History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 845