"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
M. M. WALKER COMPANY
M. M. WALKER COMPANY (THE). The company was opened in 1860 as Amsden & Walker. The 1861 Dubuque City Directory listed 92 Main.
Between 1869 and 1886 the annual revenue of the company rose from $150,000 to an estimated one million dollars.
In 1869 the name was changed to M.M. Walker. The 1870-1871 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as 34 and 36 Main.
The 1874-1875 through 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory'Bold text' stated that this business was located at 242-248 Main. Walker conducted the business alone until 1878 when the name was changed to M.M. Walker and Company to show the inclusion of D. T. Smith, C. M. Walker, and C. C. Taft. (1) The firm was incorporated in 1878 with Marshall M. WALKER, president and D.T. Smith, secretary and treasurer.
According to the 1880 through 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory, the business was located at 242 Main.
The 1899-1900 through 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at the corner of Main and Jones.
The 1915 through the 1918 Dubuque City Directory listed 110-20 S. Main as the address of this wholesaler.
The 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed 40 Main.The 1929 Dubuque City Directory listed 56-58 Main.
1. "Co-Partnership," Dubuque Herald, August 31, 1879, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18790831&printsec=frontpage&hl=en