"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Dubuque Daily Telegraph, April 3, 1901
Photo courtesy: Telegraph Herald and Paul Hemmer

M. J. MULGREW BAKING COMPANY. According to the 1880 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory, this business was located at 327 Main. A second store was opened at 789 Main for business on May 29, 1891 as a bakery and confectionery with an ice cream parlor in the back of the building. (1)

The 1901 Dubuque City Directory through 1913 Dubuque and Dubuque County Directory stated that the M. J. Mulgrew Company was located at 327-335 Main.

The 1915 through the 1923 Dubuque City Directory listed 327 Main as the address.



1. "Mulgrew's New Bakery and Confectionery," Dubuque Daily Herald, May 29, 1891, p. 4