"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "LOEHE CHAPEL"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:loehe.jpg|left|thumb|250px|]]LOEHE CHAPEL. Built on the grounds of [[WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY]], the chapel had doors decorated with embossed copper relief designs created by local artist, Eva Leo. The scenes depict the Biblical passage of Matthew 25: 31-40. The copper designs, illustrating caring for the thirsty, lame, sick, imprisoned, hungry and the stranger, were dedicated on September 8, 1977. Leo fashioned them in memory of her late husband, Professor Paul Leo, who taught Greek and the New Testament at Wartburg from 1950 to 1958.  
+
[[Image:loehe.jpg|left|thumb|250px|]]LOEHE CHAPEL. Built on the grounds of [[WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY]], the chapel had doors decorated with embossed copper relief designs created by local artist, [[LEO, Eva|Eva LEO]]. The scenes depict the Biblical passage of Matthew 25: 31-40. The copper designs, illustrating caring for the thirsty, lame, sick, imprisoned, hungry and the stranger, were dedicated on September 8, 1977. Leo fashioned them in memory of her late husband, Professor Paul Leo, who taught Greek and the New Testament at Wartburg from 1950 to 1958.  
  
 
Leo, a journeyman with a Master's degree in metal sculpture, was trained in Bremen, Germany, and worked with the famous Wilhelm Gross, designer of the crucifix in Loehe Chapel.
 
Leo, a journeyman with a Master's degree in metal sculpture, was trained in Bremen, Germany, and worked with the famous Wilhelm Gross, designer of the crucifix in Loehe Chapel.
  
 
[[Category: Buildings]]
 
[[Category: Buildings]]

Latest revision as of 19:47, 14 June 2018

Loehe.jpg
LOEHE CHAPEL. Built on the grounds of WARTBURG THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, the chapel had doors decorated with embossed copper relief designs created by local artist, Eva LEO. The scenes depict the Biblical passage of Matthew 25: 31-40. The copper designs, illustrating caring for the thirsty, lame, sick, imprisoned, hungry and the stranger, were dedicated on September 8, 1977. Leo fashioned them in memory of her late husband, Professor Paul Leo, who taught Greek and the New Testament at Wartburg from 1950 to 1958.

Leo, a journeyman with a Master's degree in metal sculpture, was trained in Bremen, Germany, and worked with the famous Wilhelm Gross, designer of the crucifix in Loehe Chapel.