"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
LINCOLN PARK. In April 1911, the city of Dubuque took an option of a block of property from John Olinger. Located at the corner of Sanford Avenue and Jackson STREETS. The city came into immediate possession and had until December 31, 1912 to carry out the option.
The city proposed to create Lincoln Park on the site. Under the direction of the park commission, several baseball diamonds were immediately created. Twelve elm trees were planted on the Washington Street side with plans to plan trees along each side of the park. Future plans were for the construction of back stops in a way that two different baseball diamonds could use the same back stop. The remainder of the block was to be used for playground with additional plantings of trees and shrubs. At the time the option was taken, no plan had been made to raise the purchase price of the ground.
"Lincoln Park is Added to the City," Dubuque Telegraph-Herald, April 14, 1911, p. 5