"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1905 a petition was filed to construct an addition to the building because of its crowded condition. The proposition to issue bonds was passed by a vote of 759 to 133. On September 26, 1938, a proposition to issue bonds for the construction of a new Lincoln School was passed by a vote of 4,763 to 1,265.
The building, completed with the financial assistance of a Public Works Administration grant at a cost of $203,997.69, was accepted on April 1, 1940. It was one of four elementary schools opened that year including Bryant, Fulton and Marshall. Old Bryant School constructed in 1869 was demolished first so its students were the first to move into their building. The old Lincoln building was demolished second. Lincoln was chosen as the school for the dedication of all four buildings because of its central location. (1)
Lincoln had the first female safety patrol captain in the history of the DUBUQUE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT. Sixth grade student, Janice Ahlers, served as captain in 1952. (2)
In March 2018 school officials at Lincoln announced that a food pantry, in cooperation with St. Stephen's Food Bank, would be established at the school to provide food for families in need. This was the first school-based pantry established in the DUBUQUE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT. The pantry was only open to Lincoln School students and their parents. It was planned that the pantry would be open the second Wednesday of each month. (3)
1. Hogstrom, Erik, "1940: New Bryant Elementary School Opened," Telegraph Herald, April 2, 2020, p. 5A
2. "First Time Girl Captains School Safety Patrol," Telegraph Herald, September 21, 1952, p. 17
3. Hinga, Allie. "Food for Thought," Lincoln Launches Pantry," Telegraph Herald, March 10, 2018, p. 1