LANGWORTHY, Lucius Hart
At this time, James and Lucius attempted to gain control of the LEAD mines developed by Julien DUBUQUE. Following the unsuccessful attempt of James to get the MESQUAKIE chiefs to let him work the mines, both brother spoke to others of the potential and in 1830 took a party of miners with them across the MISSISSIPPI RIVER to the Dubuque mines which were then called the "New Mines." (2) On June 17, 1830 these miners made the first laws in what is now Iowa and organized a government. (3)
Since the land in present-day Iowa was still considered property of the Native Americans, federal troops evicted the miners twice. Not deterred, they returned to become prominent citizens. Langworthy, one of Iowa's first settlers, in an article entitled" A Vision" first used the word "Iowa" to name the new territory west of the MISSISSIPPI RIVER.
Langworthy constructed the first frame house and first school in Iowa and served in the Territorial Legislature of Wisconsin that met at Burlington. He was appointed Dubuque's first sheriff in 1834 and owned an interest in the DUBUQUE VISITOR and a steamboat, the "Heroine." Greatly interested in RAILROADS, Langworthy worked with others including John PLUMBE, Jr. to generate interest in a railroad line to the Pacific coast. He was one of the delegates who traveled to Washington, D. C. to obtain a grant for the Pacific Railroad, a line in which he was an original incorporator. In 1855 he was a director of the DUBUQUE AND SIOUX CITY RAILROAD and later served as president of the DUBUQUE WESTERN RAILROAD. He was one of the first directors of the MINERS' BANK. (4) An historian, he recorded much of the early history of the area and frequently gave lectures on literary and historical topics.
Langworthy and his brother James were partners in their MINING activities and very successful when their brothers Edward LANGWORTHY and Solon LANGWORTHY joined them. Involved in many businesses, the J. L. Langworthy and Bros. in 1854 paid one-twelfth of all the tax collected in Dubuque.
1. Moeller, Hubert. "The Langworthy Brothers and Dr. Ross," The Des Moines Register, November 20, 1933.
Hudson, David; Bergman, Marvin; Horton, Loren. The Biographical Dictionary of Iowa. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press, 2008