"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




L. A. WALCH FORD MOTOR GARAGE

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo courtesy: Larry Friedman
Photo courtesy: Center for Dubuque History
L. A. WALCH FORD MOTOR GARAGE. Operated by Linus A. Walch, the plant located in 1915 at 950 Clay (Central) assembled new Ford automobiles for resale. The building was originally the site of the CONNOLLY CARRIAGE MANUFACTORY.

Dubuque was only one of the assembly plants in Iowa. Cars assembled in Des Moines were shipped throughout the western states and eastward to Cleveland. In 1923 and 1924 the plant operated three shifts assembling as many as two hundred cars daily. (1)

---

Source:

1. Jepsen, Bill. Iowa's Automobiles: An Entertaining and Enlightening History, Boone, Iowa: Sigler Companies, 2007, p. 115


Larry Friedman. Interview. November 19, 2016