"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907 by brothers, Herbert and Frederick N. KRETSCHMER. In 1907, he and his brother Herbert, joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison-Kretschmer Company. When Morrison left, it became Kretschmer Manufacturing Company and later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons (established in 1858), the name was changed to Kretschmer-Tredway Company.
In 1911 the company advertised that it manufactured plumbing and heating supplies and had a specialty in bath trap and double flush water closets. Forty workmen were employed. Until 1936, Frederick Kretschmer guided the company as President.
From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer acted as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era.
In 1998, Kretschmer-Tredway was purchased. Now known as FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE, it became the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.
Source: "Chronology" Telegraph Herald, 1979 p. 15D