"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY. Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907, by brothers, Herbert and Frederick N. KRETSCHMER. In 1907, he and his brother Herbert, joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison- Kretschmer Company. When Morrison left, it became KRETSCHMER MANUFACTURING COMPANY and later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons, the name was changed to KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY. Until 1936, Fred Kretschmer guided the company as President.
From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer acted as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era. Now known as FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE, it became the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.