"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 4: Line 4:
 
[[Image:kandt.png|left|thumb|250px|Blotter advertising "Sandy" whose sandpaper pants were featured.]]
 
[[Image:kandt.png|left|thumb|250px|Blotter advertising "Sandy" whose sandpaper pants were featured.]]
  
KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY. Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907, by brothers, Herbert and [[KRETSCHMER, Frederick N.|Frederick N. KRETSCHMER]]. In 1907, he and his brother Herbert, joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison- Kretschmer Company.  When Morrison left, it became [[KRETSCHMER MANUFACTURING COMPANY]] and later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons, the name was changed to [[KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY]]. Until 1936, Fred Kretschmer guided the company as President.  
+
KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY. Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907, by brothers, Herbert and [[KRETSCHMER, Frederick N.|Frederick N. KRETSCHMER]]. In 1907, he and his brother Herbert, joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison- Kretschmer Company.  When Morrison left, it became [[KRETSCHMER MANUFACTURING COMPANY]] and later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons, the name was changed to Kretschmer-Tredway Company. Until 1936, Frederick Kretschmer guided the company as President.  
  
 
From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer acted as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era. Now known as [[FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE]], it became the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.  
 
From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer acted as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era. Now known as [[FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE]], it became the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.  

Revision as of 17:57, 22 April 2010

Letterhead. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Name plate. Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque
A single-blade Lincoln Axe calling the company's name.
Blotter advertising "Sandy" whose sandpaper pants were featured.

KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY. Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907, by brothers, Herbert and Frederick N. KRETSCHMER. In 1907, he and his brother Herbert, joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison- Kretschmer Company. When Morrison left, it became KRETSCHMER MANUFACTURING COMPANY and later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons, the name was changed to Kretschmer-Tredway Company. Until 1936, Frederick Kretschmer guided the company as President.

From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer acted as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era. Now known as FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE, it became the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.