"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "KRETSCHMER-TREDWAY COMPANY"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(21 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:MKAD.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Telegraph Herald, Aug. 23, 1908. Image courtesy: Diane Harris]]Kretschmer-Tredway was started in Dubuque in February of 1907 by brothers, Herbert and [[KRETSCHMER, Frederick N.|Frederick N. KRETSCHMER]]. In 1907, they joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison & Kretschmer Manufacturing Company. The 1909 ''Dubuque City Directory'' located this business at the corner of 9th and Washington.  
+
[[File:kretletterhead.jpg|250px|thumb|left|]]
 +
[[Image:imp882.jpg|left|thumb|350px|Photo courtesy: Jim Massey]]In February of 1907 brothers, Herbert and [[KRETSCHMER, Frederick N.|Frederick N. KRETSCHMER]] opened the Kretschmer Manufacturing Company with a capital stock of $40,000. In 1911 the company advertised that it manufactured plumbing and heating supplies and had a specialty in bath trap and double flush water closets. Forty workmen were employed.
  
[[Category: Manufacturing Company]] When Morrison left, it became Kretschmer Manufacturing Company. Later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons (established in 1858), the name was changed to Kretschmer-Tredway Company.  
+
[[Image:MKAD.jpg|right|thumb|200px|Telegraph Herald, Aug. 23, 1908. Image courtesy: Diane Harris]]
 +
The company soon joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison & Kretschmer Manufacturing Company. The 1909 ''Dubuque City Directory'' located this business at the corner of 9th and Washington.
 +
 
 +
When Morrison left, the business again became Kretschmer Manufacturing Company. Later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons (established in 1858), the name was changed to Kretschmer-Tredway Company.  
  
 
In 1911 the company advertised that it manufactured plumbing and heating supplies and had a specialty in bath trap and double flush water closets. Forty workmen were employed. Until 1936, Frederick Kretschmer guided the company as its president.  
 
In 1911 the company advertised that it manufactured plumbing and heating supplies and had a specialty in bath trap and double flush water closets. Forty workmen were employed. Until 1936, Frederick Kretschmer guided the company as its president.  
  
From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer acted as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era.  
+
From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer served as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era.  
  
The 1970 through 1977 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed the company at 220 E. 9th St.
+
The 1939 through 1993 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed the company at 220 E. 9th St.
  
In 1998, Kretschmer-Tredway was purchased. Now known as [[FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE]], it became the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.
+
In 1998, Kretschmer-Tredway was purchased and renamed [[FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE]],the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.
 
[[Image:axe.png|left|thumb|250px|See close-up]]
 
[[Image:axe.png|left|thumb|250px|See close-up]]
 
[[Image:lincolnaxe.png|right|thumb|200px|Double bit axe, the "Lincoln Axe," carrying the company's name.]]
 
[[Image:lincolnaxe.png|right|thumb|200px|Double bit axe, the "Lincoln Axe," carrying the company's name.]]
Line 16: Line 20:
 
[[Image:ktco-1.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Letterhead: Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
 
[[Image:ktco-1.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Letterhead: Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
 
[[Image:Kretschmer-Tredway Co.jpg|left|thumb|450px|Letterhead. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
 
[[Image:Kretschmer-Tredway Co.jpg|left|thumb|450px|Letterhead. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding]]
[[Image:KRETSTRED.jpg|left|thumb|450px|Name plate. Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque]]
+
[[Image:KRETSTRED.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Name plate. Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque]]
 
+
[[Image:imp882.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Jim Massey]] 
 
[[Image:kandt.png|left|thumb|250px|Blotter advertising "Sandy" whose sandpaper pants were featured.]]
 
[[Image:kandt.png|left|thumb|250px|Blotter advertising "Sandy" whose sandpaper pants were featured.]]
 +
[[Image:kretschmermirror-2.png|right|thumb|250px|Pocket mirror.]]
  
[[Image:imp882.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Photo courtesy: Jim Massey]]KRETSCHMER MANUFACTURING COMPANY. 
+
Source:  
 
+
[[Image:kretschmermirror-2.png|left|thumb|250px|Pocket mirror.]]
+
  
Source: "Chronology" Telegraph Herald, 1979 p. 15D  
+
"Chronology" ''Telegraph Herald,'' 1979 p. 15D
 +
 
[[Category: Metal Manufacturing]]
 
[[Category: Metal Manufacturing]]
 
[[Category: Letterhead]]
 
[[Category: Letterhead]]
 
[[Category: Ink Blotters]]
 
[[Category: Ink Blotters]]
 
[[Category: Hardware]]
 
[[Category: Hardware]]

Latest revision as of 21:20, 11 August 2018

Kretletterhead.jpg
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
In February of 1907 brothers, Herbert and Frederick N. KRETSCHMER opened the Kretschmer Manufacturing Company with a capital stock of $40,000. In 1911 the company advertised that it manufactured plumbing and heating supplies and had a specialty in bath trap and double flush water closets. Forty workmen were employed.
Telegraph Herald, Aug. 23, 1908. Image courtesy: Diane Harris

The company soon joined Andrew Morrison in forming Morrison & Kretschmer Manufacturing Company. The 1909 Dubuque City Directory located this business at the corner of 9th and Washington.

When Morrison left, the business again became Kretschmer Manufacturing Company. Later when the brothers bought out Tredway and Sons (established in 1858), the name was changed to Kretschmer-Tredway Company.

In 1911 the company advertised that it manufactured plumbing and heating supplies and had a specialty in bath trap and double flush water closets. Forty workmen were employed. Until 1936, Frederick Kretschmer guided the company as its president.

From 1936 to 1944, Mrs. L. A. Kretschmer served as President, being one of the few ladies to hold such a position during that era.

The 1939 through 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed the company at 220 E. 9th St.

In 1998, Kretschmer-Tredway was purchased and renamed FIRST SUPPLY DUBUQUE,the first Iowa facility for the corporation. The successful facility continued to grow and in March 2007 relocated to its current location on Chavenelle Drive.

See close-up
Double bit axe, the "Lincoln Axe," carrying the company's name.
Kretschmer Manufacturing. Library of Congress
Wooden box used to ship the Lincoln Axe
Letterhead: Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Letterhead. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
Name plate. Photo courtesy: Cathy's Treasures, 156 Main, Dubuque
Photo courtesy: Jim Massey
Blotter advertising "Sandy" whose sandpaper pants were featured.
Pocket mirror.

Source:

"Chronology" Telegraph Herald, 1979 p. 15D