"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




KLAUER, Peter

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 20:58, 26 December 2016 by Randylyon (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

Family History: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/n/o/r/Moya-Nordholm/GENE2-0002.html

Peter Klauer. Photo courtesy: Bob Reding
KLAUER, Peter. (Coblenz, Germany, Nov. 28, 1842-Dubuque, IA, July 8, 1919). Founder, KLAUER MANUFACTURING COMPANY. Klauer moved to Dubuque in 1855 and served as an apprentice with the firm of Dries and Hennock, coppersmiths, and later Thomas Henne, a tinsmith. In 1870 he began his own business of manufacturing galvanized iron cornices, stoves, home furnishing goods, hot-air furnaces, and tin roofs in a shop on Iowa Street.

Klauer and his son, William, operated the firm as equal partners. In 1904 the firm he founded was incorporated as the Klauer Manufacturing Company.

Klauer served as president of the GERMAN SAVINGS BANK, UNION TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK, Dubuque and Wisconsin Bridge Company, and vice-president of the IOWA COFFIN COMPANY. He was a member of the board of supervisors, chairman of the committee that directed the construction of the DUBUQUE COUNTY COURTHOUSE, organizer of the DUBUQUE SHOOTING SOCIETY, and one of the first directors and trustees of the Dubuque city library. Prior to his death, Klauer had resigned the presidencies of the board of public library trustees and the Dubuque Shooting Club where he was considered an expert marksmen. (1)

Trade Card
Trade Card

--

Source:

1. "Dubuquers at La Crosse," Dubuque Daily Herald, July 17, 1894, p. 4

Goodspeed, Weston Arthur, History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Goodspeed Historical Association, 1911, p. 617