"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
In 1835 King returned to Ohio where he purchased equipment for a newspaper. Returning with equipment and William Carey JONES to Dubuque in May 1836, he issued the first edition of the Du Buque Visitor which had for its motto “Truth Our Guide—The Public Good Our Aim.”
The Visitor was first established in a log building on Church street. The first newspaper publishing plant was a two-story log residence of Pascal Mallet and his family. Six months after the first publication, the newspaper plant was moved to a different location on Main Street, and a short time later to a log building on Locust Street just south of Fifth Street. It was printed there until publication was discontinued in 1842.
Held in high regard by his peers, King was appointed Chief Justice of the County Court of Dubuque County, making him one of only three people with authority to issue warrants of arrest for accused criminals. In 1839 King was appointed Postmaster of Dubuque and between 1854 and 1866 he served several terms as a member of the city council. In 1860 King became one of the charter members of the Dubuque County Farmers' Club.
King worked constantly to impress his fellow citizens on the need for shrubbery and shade trees around the city. One of the most carefully prepared men of his day, it is said King purchased and carefully preserved an expensive suit for his burial.PLANK ROAD.
Included in the homestead was all of the property between Central Avenue and Broadway and from Diagonal Street to Twenty-fifth Street. On the slopes at every side of the house were vineyards and orchards. To protect the products of his vines and trees, Judge King had a five-foot wall of stone built about the entire property extending all the way down Central Avenue, on Twenty-fifth and Diagonal streets and all the way along Broadway between these two streets.
In the years after the death of Judge King, the property which he beautified by the planting of vineyards, fruit trees and berry bushes and flowers of many varieties was made into a subdivision. Streets were laid out through it and new homes were built on its slopes. The Fulton school annex and its playgrounds were located at the foot of the slope in front of the old residence.
Oldt, Franklin T. The History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western Historical Company, 1880, p. 821-823