"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
JUNKERMANN & HAAS
Julius W. HAAS became a druggist at the age of fourteen while living in Germany. He came to the United States in 1848 and moved to Dubuque in 1854.
Junkermann and Haas joined together to establish the Junkermann & Haas Drug Store on August 1, 1854. (1) In 1878 the two men were elected members of the Board of Control of the Wholesale Druggist Union of the northwest. (2)
Their first location was 152 Main. The business was moved to 703 Main between 1872 and 1874 when they were listed as whole druggists. By 1874 the company did business as far away as Yankton, Dakota Territory. (3)
The Dubuque City Directory of 1875-1876 placed the business as 730 Main. The business was again moved in 1875 to 776 Main the former address of RICHMOND & BLAKE. This was the same address in 1880, but according to the 1883 Dubuque City Directory, this business was located at 775 Main.
1. "Junkermann and Haas," Dubuque Herald, July 30, 1874, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18740730&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Caught on the Fly," Dubuque Herald, November 15, 1878, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=uh8FjILnQOkC&dat=18781115&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
2. "Junkermann and Haas"
Burggraaf, Mike and Southard, Tom. The Antique Bottles of Iowa. Northfield, OH: Ohio Wholesale Copy Service, 1998