It was named the WAPLES HOUSE until around 1854 when Burton & Finlay enlarged the building to eighty rooms and renamed it the Julien House. In 1867 ownership changed from Alexander YOUNG to W. W. WOODWORTH. In 1873 an addition was made which resulted in the building having a frontage of 143-feet on Second Street with 45-feet on Iowa. In 1880 the property was valued at $70,000. (2)
The 1858-1859 Dubuque City Directory listed 24, 26, and 28 Main at the corner of 2nd. Kingman and Smith were the proprietors.
The 1859-1860 Dubuque City Directory listed the corner of Main and 2nd.
The 1880 Dubuque City Directory listed the northeast corner of 2nd and Main.
1. Oldt, Franklin T. History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Western Historical, 1880, p. 669
See: HOTEL JULIEN DUBUQUE