"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
JOHN T. HANCOCK & SON
The company name became John T. Hancock & Company around 1875. When his son Charles Thomas HANCOCK joined the business around 1880 the company name was changed again to John T. Hancock & Son. In 1891 another son, Frank A. Hancock joined the firm and the company name became JOHN T. HANCOCK & SONS.
When John T. Hancock died, the business was moved to 2-20 South Main. The company name remained the same, but the president was C. H. Young. The business became a branch of the WESTERN GROCER COMPANY in 1909 and was not listed after 1918.
The 1880 through 1886-1887 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 215-229 Main.