"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque

www.encyclopediadubuque.org

"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.




Difference between revisions of "JOHN T. HANCOCK & SON"

From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
[[Image:cigarholder.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Leather pocket cigar holder.]]JOHN T. HANCOCK & SON. In 1858 [[HANCOCK, John T.|John T. HANCOCK]] established his wholesale grocery business. The 1859-1860 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed Main between 2nd and 3rd. The business was listed at 38 Main in the 1865 ''Dubuque City Directory''. The 1874-1875 ''Dubuque City Directory'' stated that this business was located at 402-416 Main.  
+
[[Image:cigarholder.jpg|left|thumb|250px|Leather pocket cigar holder.]]JOHN T. HANCOCK & SON. In 1858 [[HANCOCK, John T.|John T. HANCOCK]] established his wholesale grocery business. The 1859-1860 ''Dubuque City Directory'' listed Main between 2nd and 3rd. The business was listed at 38 Main in the 1861 through 1865 ''Dubuque City Directory''. The 1874-1875 ''Dubuque City Directory'' stated that this business was located at 402-416 Main.  
  
 
The company name became John T. Hancock & Company around 1875.  When his son [[HANCOCK, Charles Thomas|Charles Thomas HANCOCK]] joined the business around 1880 the company name was changed again to John T. Hancock & Son.  In 1891 another son, Frank A. Hancock joined the firm and the company name became [[JOHN T. HANCOCK & SONS]].
 
The company name became John T. Hancock & Company around 1875.  When his son [[HANCOCK, Charles Thomas|Charles Thomas HANCOCK]] joined the business around 1880 the company name was changed again to John T. Hancock & Son.  In 1891 another son, Frank A. Hancock joined the firm and the company name became [[JOHN T. HANCOCK & SONS]].

Revision as of 21:28, 16 March 2013

Leather pocket cigar holder.
JOHN T. HANCOCK & SON. In 1858 John T. HANCOCK established his wholesale grocery business. The 1859-1860 Dubuque City Directory listed Main between 2nd and 3rd. The business was listed at 38 Main in the 1861 through 1865 Dubuque City Directory. The 1874-1875 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 402-416 Main.

The company name became John T. Hancock & Company around 1875. When his son Charles Thomas HANCOCK joined the business around 1880 the company name was changed again to John T. Hancock & Son. In 1891 another son, Frank A. Hancock joined the firm and the company name became JOHN T. HANCOCK & SONS.

When John T. Hancock died, the business was moved to 2-20 South Main. The company name remained the same, but the president was C. H. Young. The business became a branch of the WESTERN GROCER COMPANY in 1909 and was not listed after 1918.

The 1880 through 1886-1887 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 215-229 Main.