JOHN BUTT. In 1852 John Butt, Sr. began the manufacture of wagons and light vehicles at 645 Iowa Street. He continued in this business until his death in 1873. His business was then continued by his sons John, Ernest, William and Helmuth.
In 1876 they constructed a three-story building at a cost of $3,500. Employing six men at a weekly cost of $100.00, the annual income to the firm was $8,000 around 1800.
The 1859-1860 through 1868-69 Dubuque City Directory listed Iowa between 6th and 7th.
The 1867 Dubuque City Directory gave no address for this business although it was listed as a blacksmith.
The 1875-1876 Dubuque City Directory gave the address as 645 Iowa.
The 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory listed John Butt and Brothers at 645 Iowa.
According to the 1883 Dubuque City Directory, this business was located at the corner of 9th and Clay.
In the 1884-1885 through 1911-12 Dubuque City Directory, the address was given as 879 Clay.
Oldt, Franklin T., History of Dubuque County, Iowa. p. 649 Online. http://books.google.com/books?id=u9xDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA648&lpg=PA648&dq=KEY+CITY+CARRIAGE+TOPS&source=bl&ots=0CnBDKxT6u&sig=EFlJJUsEXsKwBtE8GHLWp-2W6MI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oxmLUaTtE6vH0AHF_oG4Bw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=KEY%20CITY%20CARRIAGE%20TOPS&f=false