"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
JOHN BELL AND COMPANY
The company was first known as John Bell and Company. The name was changed in 1865 to Bell, Rider and Wallis. Bell's interest was purchased in 1866, and the company was renamed Rider, Wallis and Company. (1) In 1889 the firm was incorporated as the RIDER-WALLIS DRY GOODS COMPANY.
The 1867 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located in the City Clock Building and Main and 8th.
The 1868-69 Dubuque City Directory listed the west side of Main between 8th and 9th.
The 1873-74 Dubuque City Directory listed 83 Main.
The 1875-1876 Dubuque City Directory located the business at 445 Main.
The 1878-79 Dubuque City Directory listed the east side of Main between 3rd and 4th.
The 1880 through 1884-1885 Dubuque City Directory listed 356-364 Main as the address.
1. "To the Public," Dubuque Democratic Herald, September 21, 1864, P. 4, Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=A36e8EsbUSoC&dat=18640921&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
The Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Representative Men of Chicago, Iowa and the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, IL, p. 576 http://books.google.com/books?id=_1c0AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA576&lpg=PA576&dq=John+William+Wallis+%28dubuque%29&source=bl&ots=-aK4bJA5IZ&sig=-wnXLkTGYkcOU4CZ5NlXdhirkSY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IwPjUe-YEMuzqQGF3YCgCg&ved=0CHIQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=John%20William%20Wallis%20%28dubuque%29&f=false