"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES. The Dubuque congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, in reality a group of ministers, was organized in 1912. They originally met at Ninth and Locust STREETS until it was necessary to find a larger building. They completed their Kingdom Hall at 787 W. Locust almost entirely with volunteer work of members of the congregation.
In 1957 the Dubuque congregation worked closely with twenty other congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses in northeast Iowa and hosted a three-day assembly for eight hundred delegates at WASHINGTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL.
Members of the congregation attempt to call twice annually on the residents of each home in Dubuque. Copies of "Watchtower" and "Awake" are widely distributed. Beginning in 1941, members also conducted free Bible studies in homes of people interested in learning more about the Scriptures.
The most recent Kingdom Hall constructed in Dubuque was built at the corner of Asbury and Bonson roads (3650 Asbury Road) beginning on April 30, 1983, after the north and south congregations had outgrown their hall at 787 W. Locust.
Over five hundred volunteers arrived for the two day project developed by the Jehovah's Witnesses so that workers would not have to be away from their families or ministerial work for long periods of time. The hall's 201 seats came from the STRAND THEATER that had been ruined by fire in August 1980.
The 1993 Dubuque City Directory listed 3650 Asbury Road.
The 2013 Yellowbook listed Kingdom Hall at 2738 Linda Court.
"Jehovah's Witnesses Active Here," Telegraph Herald, August 31, 1958, p. 11