JAMES LALLY. Mr. Lally, a native of Pike County, Missouri, moved to Dubuque in 1853 and worked as clerk in grocery house. In 1875 established his business manufacturing stoves and tinware.
His store on 8th stocked stoves, ranges, and cooking utensils. At the back of the store was a room used for his manufacture of tin and copper ware. He also did a large trade in the manufacture of tin and sheet iron roofing, spouting and gutters.
The 1880 and 1883 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was to be found at 29 8th.
The 1884-1885 through 1890-91 Dubuque City Directory gave 37 8th as the address.
The Industries of Dubuque: Her Relations as a Trade Center, Dubuque: J. M. Elster and Company, Publishers, 1887, p. 72