JAMES A. BEACH AND SONS
In 1891 the company constructed a large brick three-story building on the southwest corner of South Locust and Dodge streets.(Years later this building was used by A.Y.MCDONALD MANUFACTURING COMPANY). Three huge kettles cooked, steamed, and boiled the soap for six days. In 1906 new machinery was purchased make soap powder. This made the company the first soap powder mill in Iowa. Oils including musk, geranium, and jasmine were shipped to Dubuque by railroad in tank cars. Salesmen traveled nationwide advertising the company's products with free samples.
According to the History of Dubuque County, the company had annual revenues of nearly $50,000. The company produced over 10,000 boxes of soap; 3,500 molded candles; and between 300 and 500 barrels of lard-oil.
The 1886-87 Dubuque City Directory listed the corner of Locust and Dodge.
The 1915 Dubuque City Directory listed 207 S. Locust as the company address.