J. H. STROBEL AND SONS PACKING COMPANY
The 1870-1871 and 1873-74 Dubuque City Directory gave the address of this business as the west side of Clay between 4th and 5th.
The 1874-1875 through 1886-1887 Dubuque City Directory stated that this business was located at 465 Clay.
In 1891 the Dubuque Daily Herald noted that the company was being offered major inducements including $10,000, land on which to build, and an exemption on taxes for ten years to relocate to either Waterloo or Maquoketa. Interior cities like these believed attracting packers would boost the value of hogs and provide lower cost processing than shipping the animals to Chicago. (1)
The 1909 Dubuque City Directory through the 1918 Dubuque and East Dubuque City Directory listed 455-465 Clay as the address.
In 1911 the company reported utilizing between six and ten thousand hogs annually for their business which was interstate.
1. "Petitioning Pork Packers," Dubuque Daily Herald, March 19, 1891, p. 4. Online: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=_OG5zn83XeQC&dat=18910319&printsec=frontpage&hl=en