"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
J. AND A. CHRISTMAN AND COMPANY
One of their first clerks was Joseph Frederick STAMPFER.
The business closed on January 3, 1894. It was thought that the store might have carried too large an inventory and had been hurt by the economic downturn in 1893. (1)
The 1878-79 and 1880 Dubuque City Directory listed 672 Main.
1. "J. A. Christman Assign.," Dubuque Daily Herald, January 4, 1894, p. 4
Oldt, Franklin. The History of Dubuque County, Iowa. Chicago: Western History Company, 1880, p. 775