"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN
Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.
IMMANUEL CONGREGATIONAL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST
Rev. Fluery conducted services each Sunday in the German, French and English languages. He hoped that this ‘Evangelical” church, as it was called at the time, would unite immigrants of both the Lutheran and the reformed traditions. Although there was interest in forming a church, an official church was not organized.
By 1848, the “Evangelical” church had become the “German Church”. It was under Congregational care and had 83 members. That year, Adrian Van Vliet and about half of the members separated from the church and formed a Presbyterian church which became FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
In 1867, the “German Church” called upon Rev. Jesse Guernsey, the Iowa Superintendent for Congregational Churches, for assistance in forming a German Congregational church. The attempt failed for reasons unknown.
There remained enough interest that a church was built under the direction of Superintendent Guernsey. A small white frame structure was erected in 1867 on the hillside above the intersection of 18th street and Central Avenue. It was named the German Congregational Church and its address was 20 West Eighteenth Street. In 1868 it was formally chartered as a church.
The Rev. Herman Ficke was called as the first pastor. He arrived in 1868 and found a church with a membership of seven adults and two children, a small unfinished building, and a debt of $1,200. Under the leadership of Rev. Ficke, the problems were gradually settled.
Construction of the present church at 18th and Jackson STREETS was begun with the laying of the cornerstone on October 16, 1887. The original church was rented to other church groups for several years and then torn down in the 1890s. A parsonage was constructed on the site. Ficke continued in his position until his death in 1911.
Mergers marked the next two decades. In 1929, Immanuel merged with the Durango Congregational Church. Immanuel’s growth continued with a number of enlargements to the church building and many improvements. In 1931 the merger of the Congregational Churches, and the Christian Churches, into the Congregational Christian Churches occurred.
In 1943, the house at 1737 Jackson Street was purchased as a parsonage. In 1945, a special evening service was held to burn the mortgage for the latest church addition.
The 1987 through 2014 Dubuque City Directory listed 1795 Jackson.
"Immanuel Congregational United Church of Christ," Online: http://www.immanueluccdbq.org/