"SHSI Certificate of Recognition"
"Best on the Web"

Encyclopedia Dubuque


"Encyclopedia Dubuque is the online authority for all things Dubuque, written by the people who know the city best.”
Marshall Cohen—researcher and producer, CNN

Affiliated with the Local History Network of the State Historical Society of Iowa, and the Iowa Museum Association.


From Encyclopedia Dubuque
Revision as of 21:44, 15 September 2018 by Randylyon (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

HORSE DRINKING FOUNTAINS. One of the last reminders of horse-drawn transportation in Dubuque was slated for removal in July, 1928. The drinking fountain at 18th and Central had recently begun to develop several leaks which resulted in the street being constantly flooded. Former leaks could be repaired; the latest would require the street to be torn up and the fountain rebuilt.

With the removal of this fountain, Dubuque still offered two fountains for the use of horses. One was located at the city garage at 14th and Elm and the other could be found on lower Main Street north of Flatiron Park.



"To Remove Another Reminder of the Day When Horse Reigned," Telegraph-Herald, July 15, 1928, p. 7